Professor Andrew Baum passed away unexpectedly on November 22, 2010. Social Psychology Network is maintaining this profile for visitors who wish to learn more about Professor Baum's work.
Please see below for more information:
- In Appreciation: Andy Baum (Association for Psychological Science)
Andrew Baum has research interests in the biobehavioral aspects of cancer and chronic illness; chronic stress and illness; control, social regulation, and learned helplessness; psychoneuroimmunology; traumatic stress and mental health; and neuroendocrine regulation of resilience. He has served as president of the Division of Health Psychology of the APA, received awards from the division and from the APA in recognition of his contributions to health psychology and science, and has served as an officer of the Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research and the Council of Directors of Health Psychology Training for the past 15 years. He was also chair of the Health Behavior and Prevention Study section of the National Institute of Mental Health and of the 1999 American Psychological Association mini-convention on cancer.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Baum, A., Gatchel, R. J., & Krantz, D. S. (1997). Introduction to health psychology (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Baum, A., Newman, S., Weinman, J., West, R., & McManus, C. (Eds.). (1997). Cambridge handbook of psychology, health and medicine. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Baum, A., & Singer, J. E. (Eds.). (1987). Handbook of psychology and health: Vol. V. Stress. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bell, P., Fisher, J., Baum, A., & Greene, T. (1996). Environmental psychology (5th ed.). London: Psychology Press.
- Dimsdale, J., & Baum, A. (Eds.). (1995). Perspectives in behavioral medicine: Quality of life. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Schneiderman, N., McCabe, P., & Baum, A. (Eds.). (1992). Stress and disease processes. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Shapiro, A., & Baum, A. (Eds.). (1991). Perspectives in behavioral medicine: Vol. VII. Behavioral aspects of cardiovascular disease. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Stein, M., & Baum, A. (Eds.). (1995). Perspectives in behavioral medicine: Chronic Illness. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Temoshok, L., & Baum, A. (Eds.). (1990). Psychosocial aspects of AIDS. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Weiss, S., Fielding, J., & Baum, A. (Eds.). (1991). Health at work. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Baum, A., Friedman, A. L., & Zakowski, S. G. (1997). Stress and genetic testing for disease risk. Health Psychology, 16(1), 8-19.
- Benight, C. C., Antoni, M. H., Kilbourn, K., Ironson, G., Kumar, M. A., Fletcher, M. A., . . . Schneiderman, N. (1997). Coping self-efficacy buffers psychological and physiological disturbances in HIV-infected men following a natural disaster. Health Psychology, 16(3), 248-255.
- Cohen, S., Doyle, W. J., & Baum, A. (2006). Socioeconomic status is associated with stress hormones. Psychosomatic Medicine, 68, 414-420.
- Delahanty, D. L., Wang, T., Maravich, C., Forlenza, M., & Baum, A. (2000). Time-of-day effects on response of natural killer cells to acute stress in men and women. Health Psychology, 19(1), 39-45.
- Dougall, A. L., Baum, A, & Jenkins, F.J. (1998). Daily fluctuation in chronic fatigue syndrome severity and symptoms. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, 3(1), 12-28.
- Dougall, A. L., Herberman, H. B., Delahanty, D. L., Inslicht, S. S., & Baum, A. (2000). Similarity of prior trauma exposure as a determinant of chronic stress responding to an airline disaster. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 68(2), 290-295.
- Kinder, L. S., Kamarck, T. W., Baum, A., & Orchard, T. J. (2002). Depressive symptomatology and coronary heart disease in Type I diabetes mellitus: A study of possible mechanisms. Health Psychology, 21(6), 542-552.
- Patterson, S. M., Zakowski, S. G., Hall, M. H., Cohen, L., Wollman, K., & Baum, A. (1994). Psychological stress and platelet activation: Differences in platelet reactivity in healthy men during active and passive stressors. Health Psychology, 13(1), 34-38.
- Smith, A. W., Baum, A., & Wing, R. R. (2005). Stress and weight gain in parents of cancer patients. International Journal of Obesity, 29, 244-250.
- Wang, T., Delahanty, D. L., Dougall, A. L., & Baum, A. (1998). Responses of natural killer cell activity to acute laboratory stressors in healthy men at different times of day. Health Psychology, 17(5), 428-435.
- Biomedical Ethics
- History and Systems in Psychology
- Intro to Environmental Psychology
- Introduction to Neuroscience
- Introduction to Social Psychology
- Laboratory in Social Psychology
- Methods of Psychological Research
- Psychology of Stress and Illness
- Seminar in Medical Psychology
- Social Psychology and Health